The Saturday Paper – Artistic License
Unlike countries with a fair use exemption, copyright laws in Australia require artists to secure prohibitively expensive licences for even the smallest quotation of others’ work.
InsideAPC Number 20 – May 2017
Over recent months an intense debate has had artists, authors and filmmakers in Australia rail against recommendations made by the Productivity Commission, consisting of a Fair Use provision to be added to Australia’s Copyright Act. Andrew has been one of a few supporting such a provision and he has been a guest panellist at two recent forums on the subject.
Interview: NETWORKER Mag – Jan 2005
Interview with Korean new media magazine, Networker. Published in Issue 15, January 2005.
Media Coverage & Interviews
- Swinburne filmmaker captures the lives of those living with Parkinson’s (Swinburne University News, 10 July 2018) [Text]
- Screening of Ocean in a Drop in India (Australian High Commission, New Delhi, Media Release, 20 December 2017) [Text]
- Australian Movie Director Andrew Garton @ 15th Chennai International Film Festival (CineInfotv.com, Chennai)
- Australian filmmaker takes digital learning to rural tribes (DT Next, Daily Thanthi, 20 December 2017) [Text]
- We are living in scary times (Chennai, Times of New India, 20 December 2017) [Text]
- Plug into the web with caution (New Delhi, The Pioneer, 18 December 2017) [Text]
- The Blacksmiths’ Tree brings bushfire victims together (Swinburne University News, 24 October 2017) [Text]
- ADA Copyright Forum 2017: Fair Use, Flexibility and Exceptions for Creativity (National Library of Australia) [Video]
- Afternoon Adda (podcast) interviews Andrew about his film Ocean in a Drop [Audio]
- We Are Moving Stories interviews Andrew about his film Forged from Fire [Text]
- We are Moving Stories interviews Andrew about his film Higher Ground [Text]
- We are Moving Stories interviews Andrew about his film Ocean in a Drop [Text]
- Arthurs Creek director Andrew Garton pays tribute to the Blacksmiths Tree (The Weekly Review, September 9 2015) [Text]
- Close up: art collaboration between Australia and Afghanistan (RN Drive, ABC Radio National, 2 August 2012)
- Bamiyarra Not So Still(s) (Weekend Arts, ABC Radio National, 28 July 2012)
- D3: exploring Melbourne’s CBO – Australian Screen Education, no.32, 2003 Spring, p.14(2) (ISSN: 1443-1629)
- The life of Riley: off to Milia – The Australian (National, Australia), 2001 Jan 23, p.029
- Opus to a plucky grandma – The Australian (National, Australia), 1999 Sept 21, p.C03 – A composer from Victoria has won an award for his innovative production of an online opera he conceived about the plight of an East European refugee.
- Classic case of blood in the music – The Australian (National, Australia), 1997 August 19, p.045
- Radio returns as streaming audio (The Australian (National, Australia), 1997 Jan 28, p.C08)
- 21 December – Screening – Ocean in a Drop – Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University, India
- 18 December – Screening – Ocean in a Drop – Chennai International Film Festival, India
- 18 December – Lecture – People telling stories – Blue Ocean Film & Television Academy (BOFTA), Chennai, India
- 16 December – Film and Book Launch – India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, India – Launched by Deputy High Commissioner Chris Elstoft and produced with the support of the Australia India Institute, the Australian High Commission and the Digital Empowerment Foundation.
- 19 July – Screening – Ocean in a Drop, a film by Andrew Garton, Clayton Community Centre, Victoria
- 12 July – Q&A – Let’s talk about This Choir Sings Carols, a film by Andrew Garton, Whittlesea Library, Victoria
- 18 June – Screening – Ocean in a Drop, a film by Andrew Garton, St Andrews Community Hall, Victoria
- 31 May – Panellist – The Creative Power of Copying, Vivid Festival, Sydney
- 24 February – Panellist – ADA Copyright Forum 2017: Fair Use, Flexibility and Exceptions for Creativity, National Library of Australia, Canberra
- 13 February – Panellist – Fair Use: Myth v Reality for Creators, ACMIX, Melbourne