Unlike countries with a fair use exemption, copyright laws in Australia require artists to secure prohibitively expensive licences for even the smallest quotation of others’ work.
Over recent months an intense debate has had artists, authors and filmmakers in Australia rail against recommendations made by the Productivity Commission, consisting of a Fair Use provision to be added to Australia’s Copyright Act. Andrew has been one of a few supporting such a provision and he has been a guest panellist at two recent forums on the subject.
Interview with Korean new media magazine, Networker. Published in Issue 15, January 2005.
Media Coverage & Interviews
- Swinburne filmmaker captures the lives of those living with Parkinson’s (Swinburne University News, 10 July 2018) [Text]
- Screening of Ocean in a Drop in India (Australian High Commission, New Delhi, Media Release, 20 December 2017) [Text]
- Australian Movie Director Andrew Garton @ 15th Chennai International Film Festival (CineInfotv.com, Chennai)
- Australian filmmaker takes digital learning to rural tribes (DT Next, Daily Thanthi, 20 December 2017) [Text]
- We are living in scary times (Chennai, Times of New India, 20 December 2017) [Text]
- Plug into the web with caution (New Delhi, The Pioneer, 18 December 2017) [Text]
- The Blacksmiths’ Tree brings bushfire victims together (Swinburne University News, 24 October 2017) [Text]
- ADA Copyright Forum 2017: Fair Use, Flexibility and Exceptions for Creativity (National Library of Australia) [Video]
- Afternoon Adda (podcast) interviews Andrew about his film Ocean in a Drop [Audio]
- We Are Moving Stories interviews Andrew about his film Forged from Fire [Text]
- We are Moving Stories interviews Andrew about his film Higher Ground [Text]
- We are Moving Stories interviews Andrew about his film Ocean in a Drop [Text]
- Arthurs Creek director Andrew Garton pays tribute to the Blacksmiths Tree (The Weekly Review, September 9 2015) [Text]
- Close up: art collaboration between Australia and Afghanistan (RN Drive, ABC Radio National, 2 August 2012)
- Bamiyarra Not So Still(s) (Weekend Arts, ABC Radio National, 28 July 2012)
- D3: exploring Melbourne’s CBO – Australian Screen Education, no.32, 2003 Spring, p.14(2) (ISSN: 1443-1629)
- The life of Riley: off to Milia – The Australian (National, Australia), 2001 Jan 23, p.029
- Opus to a plucky grandma – The Australian (National, Australia), 1999 Sept 21, p.C03 – A composer from Victoria has won an award for his innovative production of an online opera he conceived about the plight of an East European refugee.
- Classic case of blood in the music – The Australian (National, Australia), 1997 August 19, p.045
- Radio returns as streaming audio (The Australian (National, Australia), 1997 Jan 28, p.C08)
- 21 December – Screening – Ocean in a Drop – Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University, India
- 18 December – Screening – Ocean in a Drop – Chennai International Film Festival, India
- 18 December – Lecture – People telling stories – Blue Ocean Film & Television Academy (BOFTA), Chennai, India
- 16 December – Film and Book Launch – India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, India – Launched by Deputy High Commissioner Chris Elstoft and produced with the support of the Australia India Institute, the Australian High Commission and the Digital Empowerment Foundation.
- 19 July – Screening – Ocean in a Drop, a film by Andrew Garton, Clayton Community Centre, Victoria
- 12 July – Q&A – Let’s talk about This Choir Sings Carols, a film by Andrew Garton, Whittlesea Library, Victoria
- 18 June – Screening – Ocean in a Drop, a film by Andrew Garton, St Andrews Community Hall, Victoria
- 31 May – Panellist – The Creative Power of Copying, Vivid Festival, Sydney
- 24 February – Panellist – ADA Copyright Forum 2017: Fair Use, Flexibility and Exceptions for Creativity, National Library of Australia, Canberra
- 13 February – Panellist – Fair Use: Myth v Reality for Creators, ACMIX, Melbourne